field nigger and buchenwald jew


i'm in detroit on a family vacation.
it's been years since we've done one of these, and i'm learning why. instead of jumping on 95 with (youknowwho) and taking the trip south - i come here.
please don't fxck up my thoughts though...i love my family - and i came because my mom asked me to, but the family i have in detroit are the epitome of the phrase: product of environment. i mean, COME THE FXCK ON!
i didn't know that i was capable of having such family members. i guess.
so instead of making it a real family reunion, i stick with my folks (who i rode here with), my one cousin aaron, and my grandmother. we're the only sane ones here.
and detroit is not the best place to congregate.

so i've been writing this film in my head, and last night i finally put it on paper.
it's all about the dynamics between a black man and a jewish man, and trying to level the playing field over a game of chess, and friendly discourse. it's called "the field nigger and the buchenwald jew"
it has to be shot.

i am successful because my thoughts have driven me there, folks.
not because i am lucky. it is the fool that looks at successful people and say "he's lucky."
it is the wise man who look at successful people and say "that's going to be me by new years."
my cousins are products of their environment because they want to be. they live on the planet detroit. there is nothing beyond this place. and now their children say "i'm never leaving this place."
this is why i love my folks so much. because they pushed me to try new things. as much as it hurt my mother that i didn't apply to any college within 200 miles of the house, she still encouraged me, made my bunk bed in lefevre hall and drove the 800 miles back to Va. and now i'm 2 years away from having "dr." on the end of my name - and she's stopped crying when i leave...just ask "when you coming home?"

i guess i've become sam beckett. the quantum leaper. place to place, trying to get back home. i haven't been in 4 months...thank god i don't have the ability to miss people. so it's no big deal. i will probably go next week though.

i say all that to say: i am successful.

i was in new york in my 1979 chrysler new yorker riding down the west side highway, and the sun was setting, and i pulled over in the snow to get a picture because i wanted to share it with (youknowwho).
remember this?

tomorrow i will find myself back in DC.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Return top