conjure girl

30 poems in 30 days
day 4: april 10, 2010
(photography by kwesi abbensetts)


conjure girl

the church can't be bombed again
i lay my lips on her neck in the third pew between sermon and alter call
if there is one
there will be those church fans and fans of church
i left my bible on her alter
my bible being fairly new in relation to hers
in relations with her we did biblical things
i just want to love you like it say in the bible
conjure girl stole my heart and strands of my hair
so i cut my locks
and had them changed
cut my dreams short in case she expected routine while we slept
she'd visit me there often but in my absence
i stood around the corner watching the watcher
i just want to love you like it say in the bible
ain't shit in your good book about what we do
learning to spell out this relationship
learning to spell out these roots
conjure girl sits in the dark with my lips on her neck but my head on the staff
she's got a way with words
a siren of sorts
she spells
she spells
k-n-o-w your r-o-o-t-s
i give her the flowers
hoping these tu-lips can do more than speak life into her collarbone
hoping black roses meant more than one thing
she'd know
and she'd still love me
true or not

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Return top